Uncle Rocky, Fireman #4 - "Sparky Protects"
Sparky, the fire station’s new Dalmatian dog, has done well in training, but Rocky Hill knows that Sparky has not been tested by a real fire. When Sparky attacks the hose team as they approach a burning garage, Uncle Rocky fears the worst. Maybe Sparky is not a fire dog after all.
"I can't wait to share the Rocky Hill series with my grandchildren, as I am collecting the series as a special present for each one. I love the authenticity of the series that James has captured in a simplistic way that a child can understand." -- Bonnie Grishkat - Grandmother
"I have 12 children. These are the kind of books I like to enjoy with them. They are well written ...... The illustrations are fabulous for all ages, but the younger ones really enjoyed them." -- Imran Razvi - Father
Fireman ActivitiesAll that action calls for some stellar activities for your little ones to do as you read them the story, so let's have some fun.
LanguageIf you're going to be a firefighter when you grow up, you need to know how to put on the gear. Grab this free printable for your kids to fill out so they can remember the sequence.
Mentos and Cola ExplosionSparky saves Uncle Rocky and the crew from an explosion in a house fire. What better way to discuss explosions and their effects than by creating a safe one yourselves? You can easily turn this trick into a science project by doing it several times while changing the variables. Also, you might want to do it outside where you don't have to mop. What you need:
- 2 rolls of mint-flavored Mentos
- 3 or more 2-liters of Diet Coke
- 1 2-liter of generic diet cola
- At least 3 sheets of paper to roll into tubes
- Carefully open a bottle of Diet Coke and place it on a flat surface where it won't tip over
- Roll a sheet of paper into a tube just large enough to hold the Mentos and tape the edge
- Load the tube with 7 Mentos, placing a finger over one end of the tube to keep them from falling out before you're ready
- Position the tube directly over the bottle opening
- Pull your finger out of the way, allowing all 7 mentos to fall into the bottle at the same time
- Drop 7 Mentos in one bottle and 2 or 3 in another. Which number of Mentos causes the biggest explosion (highest geyser)?
- Drop 7 Mentos in a Diet Coke bottle and 7 Mentos in a generic diet cola bottle. Is there a difference in the explosions?
- Chill one of the 2-liters and drop the Mentos into 1 cold bottle and 1 warm bottle. Record the difference in the explosions, if any.
- Measure the height of your geysers by placing the bottle near a wall and measuring the wet spot
- Measure the volume of your geyser by waiting until it has played out, then pouring what is left in the bottle into a measuring cup. 2 liters minus the amount left in the bottle equals the volume of your explosion
CraftYour littles are going to love making and playing with this. Pair this awesome fire truck with the fireman hat from Rocky's Fire! Story Time, and you will have some happy kids that will be entertained for hours. Hours, mama.
Egg Carton Fire TruckWhat you need:
- Cardboard egg carton
- Craft paint in red, black, yellow, and icy blue or white
- Stapler, tape, and/or glue
- Carefully cut top and any other excess away from egg cups
- Carefully cut away 2 egg cups from the end of the carton
- Protect work space and paint remaining egg cups and edges red. Set aside to dry
- While long piece is drying, find the front edge of the short piece and use a pencil to mark off windows at the front. This will be the truck's cab
- Paint the back side of the cab and all the edges red
- Paint the windows icy blue or white. Set aside to dry
- Cut the carton top to the same length as the long piece of the bottom. This will be the truck bed.
- Paint it red and set aside to dry
- Paint 1st 2 egg cups at either end black for the tires
- Paint a ladder on one side of the truck bed
- Paint yellow lights on top of the cab
- Glue or staple the cab and the bed to the bottom of the truck with the open end of the bed at the back
FoodHey, if firemen can sit around and eat chocolate chip cookies, then so can we!
Double Chocolate Chip CookiesWhat you need
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/8 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375F
- Grease 3 cookie sheets
- Cream the butter until smooth
- Add sugars and beat until light and fluffy
- Beat in egg and vanilla
- In a separate bowl, mix flour, salt, and baking soda
- Add flour mixture to butter mixture
- Stir in chocolate chips
- Drop by teaspoonfuls onto cookie sheets
- Bake 8-10 minutes or until golden brown